Job Reference Number:
Trading Analyst (Quantitative)
The Commercial Trading Team is primarily responsible for delivering essential asset optimisation services, risk management and wholesale market access for all company assets in the UK, maximising gross margin across trading horizons ranging from seasonal hedging to within-day real-time delivery.
The Shift Team manage all portfolio shift operations, prompt power and gas trading, nominations and dispatch decisions. Beyond this, the team are regularly relied upon to provide data to the wider business, aiding asset acquisition decisions and market analysis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
An opportunity has arisen for us to recruit a trading analyst to join an expanding UK Gas & Power Trading team.
As part of the Commercial Trading team, you will be responsible for assisting the Head of Risk with the management and optimisation of 4.7 GW of UK generation capacity. You will assist the Head of Risk with the formulation and execution of trading strategies, utilising your expertise in the UK wholesale energy markets and the balancing mechanism, optimising thermal generation plant to maximise gross margin, and offer support to the wider business functions when required.
The role will be based at the London Office, where Trading, Risk, Policy, Investment and Corporate Finance functions are hosted.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Reporting to the Head of Risk, the key responsibilities and duties will include:-
- Analysing UK gas and power markets on short term horizon (from day-ahead to with-in day delivery)
- Formulating trading strategies for existing assets and potential new acquisitions
- Modelling of fundamental forecasts and providing input and guidance around trading/BM/Risk strategy to a 24/7 trading team to maximise gross margins
- Analysing and compiling market reports, including BM, pricing, DA/spot market
- Analysing and reporting trade performance, providing input into KPIs, around short term trading desk, compiling reports and daily reporting
- Supporting trading tool development for shift trading desk
- Good knowledge and understanding of the UK energy industry, including gas and power operations and association regulation and policy
- Previous gas and power market experience at a power station (2-3 years experience)
- Experience in BM, pricing, DA/spot markets (i.e. competition and trends)
- Effective communication skills to disseminate information and resolve discrepancies between different data sources
- Ability to work as part of team to deliver maximum team benefits
- Experience of using IT systems and compiling complex spreadsheets
- Ability to quickly translate complex analysis and accurate interpretation of market and system data thus ensuring optimal trading and asset profiling decisions are taken
- High organisational skills with the ability to analyse and interpret complex data and attention to detail
- Ability to cope with pressurised situations and adhering to deadlines
- Effective communication and time management skills
The post holder should be qualified to degree level or equivalent
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk