Job Reference Number:
Gas Trader (Storage, Swing & Flexibility)
Our client is a Global Energy Supply and Trading Business. This trading role sits within the Gas, Power and Derivatives strategic business unit which supports client and third-parties providing traded market expertise for natural gas, electricity and other commodities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Gas, Power and Derivatives strategic business unit supports the company and third-parties providing traded market expertise for natural gas, electricity and other commodities and related financial instruments mainly in Europe. This role is to support the on going expansion of the storage trading activity in European gas markets.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Trading and portfolio optimization across all European gas markets at which the company is active
- Work to develop a solid understanding of the physical company and group supply and storage portfolios and the inherent optionality therein. Build a view of the physical constraints and the most optimal way to manage the portfolio around them.
- Work closely with Operations, Regulations, Legal and Structured Trading teams in support of the management of the physical portfolio, and additionally around additions to the portfolio.
- Working with Quant Development, Technology and Storage teams to help oversee storage and swing model development and develop hedging strategies for nonlinear risk
- Contribute to development of short and medium term strategic plan for desk
- Provide input for continuous development of trading applications and infrastructure as required
- Ensure that trading activity is in compliance with risk management governance policies and procedures. Propose adjustments or developments of limits and/or policies where appropriate and produce analyses as required.
- Review and sign off daily positions and P&L trading reports
Excellent understanding of European energy industry fundamentals, particularly storage spreads and facilities
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills, including knowledge of statistical and trading system software. Exposure to new systems implementation an advantage
- Good presentational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair
- Proactive in achieving results and achieving book and desk targets
- Able to build solid working relationships; strong stakeholder management capabilities
- Comfortable with making decisions with partial information in a volatile, uncertain, changing and ambiguous environment.
- Strong ability to rationalize and defend decision-making process. Appetite for risk in this environment.
- Sold knowledge of Microsoft Excel is expected; VBA and Python would be advantageous.
Degree level education in a numerate subject preferred or equivalent experience.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk