Job Reference Number:
Fuel Sales, Supply & Storage
The Wholesale Manager works within the Commercial Department and reports to the Commercial Manager(Marketing & Distribution)
The Wholesale Manager is responsible for the sale contracts of all inland material sold into the Scottish and North English markets and supports the sale of material in both Northern and the Republic of Ireland, in total approximating to 4 million tonnes per annum. As the senior post holder in the Wholesale team, the Wholesale Manager must have deep knowledge and experience of the downstream fuels sector and demonstrate expert understanding of contract law, RTFO, CSO and HMRC requirements. They must also demonstrate great leadership skills and be able to lead their team with minimal direct supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the day-to-day wholesale activity including managing the wholesale team - currently the position holder plus three team members.Create and maintain strong relationships with the existing customer portfolio whilst seeking to develop new business opportunities. This will involve travel throughout the UK and on occasion Europe.
- Be the first point of contact for contractual matters for all Wholesale customers and be a creative, reliable problem solver
- Ensure all contractual obligations are met or exceeded and that customers adhere to their obligations.
- Develop and maintain a good working understanding of refinery processes and foster strong relationships with key refinery groups to gain credibility and knowledge.
- Improve processes and procedures and challenge the status quo to drive value, control costs, maximise efficiency and ensure long-term sustainability and profitability
- Work closely with support functions such as the Shipping department and logistics to ensure the most efficient and effective means of delivering product to market are realised.
- Analyse periodic and ongoing business performance in order to facilitate monitoring and strategy development including preparation of reports for dissemination at all levels.
- Contribute to the development of long term development projects, special studies and the 5-year plan.
- Identify market opportunities and calculate resource requirements in order to produce business plan(s).
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Degree qualified or equivalent
- Experience with marketing and sales, project management, business development, and transaction structuring, preferably in the mid or downstream oil industry.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience within the downstream fuels sector including managing large and complex sales agreements. Desirable: Experience of Retail/Bunkering/Large scale tender business.
- Management experience - experience leading, motivating, supporting and developing teams, including teams suffering from low morale and entrenched practices.
- Familiarity with local and international markets for refined products, and connections/relationships with relevant industry participants including suppliers and customers. Understanding of oil fundamentals, products, grades, qualities, geopolitical and environmental influence on commodity markets.
- Excellent modelling and general numeracy skills, and working knowledge of relevant software. Desirable: some understanding of physical and financial trading of crude and refined products.
- Strength of character combined with strong stakeholder management skills – ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation.
- Calm and patient under pressure, persistent but not abrasive. Inquisitive.
- Ability to drive change while retaining and building constructive relationships.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills – someone who knows what best practice looks like and has the ability to drive change and implement it in an environment that may be resistant to it.
- Experience managing a diverse range of people, with proven successful outcomes.
- Lead from the front and set the standard with regard to visibility and engagement. Be the manager but be prepared to take on departmental work for others as and when needed as the business requirements dictate.
Oil Recruitment started recruiting in fuel sales and logistics when it was established in 1998. We work with logistic companies, oil distributors, specialists and major oil and storage companies within the downstream oil industry. We specialise in the recruitment of sales, marketing, operations, commercial, technical and engineering professionals across the UK and Europe.
Oil Recruitment is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. www.oilrecruitment.co.uk