Job Reference Number:
Settlements Data Manager
Gas, Power & LNG
Reporting to the Head of Settlements, the job holder will (in association with IT) develop reporting to enhance the financial performance of the company. The job holder will use this data to identify areas of risk & opportunity to the business and supply the analysis required to address these issues. Through this analysis the job holder has the opportunity to significantly improve the financial performance of the company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with IT, the Settlements department and the wider business develop integrated performance management systems / reporting which drive operational accountability & alignment.
- Identify opportunities to use data to drive improvements and innovation in the business. For instance to carry out ‘end to end’ analysis of operational data in both the Gas and Power portfolios and identify variances which will negatively impact the overall profitability of the business unit.
- Drive implementation of these opportunities, formulating a strong business case through detailed cost and benefits for any opportunities found.
- Identify root causes of these errors and determine the monetary impact to the business. Assess the impact of data variances / inaccuracy on business functions; identify solutions and where appropriate implement.
- Provide detailed analysis of variances identified at an appropriate level (e.g. meter, customer, site) to allow the business to further investigate these variances and rectify them as required. Support business users in their analysis, working with them to further refine reporting to maximise efficiencies in resolving any errors found
- Work with other departments within Central Services to enhance and develop their reporting. For instance to support the further development of Accrual and Finance reporting to ensure that effective and accurate controls are in place.
- Maintain and develop existing Settlements Business Applications (MS Access).
Context and Environment:
The ability to query our systems, analyse the data therein and develop meaningful and reliable analysis lies at the heart of running a successful business. The job holder will have the opportunity to identify the reasons for imbalances and thereby help drive the reduction in the value outstanding. Working with the Head of Settlements the job holder can expect to help recover at least £12m from suppliers and customers and improve company results .
Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven track record in extracting and interrogating large volumes of highly complex data, using tools such as SQL, Access, Visual Basic etc. Experience of gathering data directly from source tables and/or using data warehouse tools like Business Objects. Excellent data mining and modelling skills. Experience of dealing with complex data and being able to produce meaningful analysis which has influenced change in the business.
- Ideally a good knowledge of systems and data architecture.
- Achievement Drive: Pushes to do things better; sets goals, standards and targets beyond those required and continually strives to achieve them.
- Analytical Thinking: Applies complex analytical techniques appropriately, such as scenario planning and cost benefit analysis. Able to effectively integrate systems by understanding the different interrelationships.
- Information Seeking: Asks probing questions which go to the heart of an issue. Gets enough information to be able to visualise intricate processes, projects or plans.
- Initiative: Puts forward well planned proposals for potential changes or improvements to their own process or area; creates major opportunities and takes action to make them happen. Works around internal constraints
- Self confidence: Likes challenging assignments, looks for and gets new responsibilities. Happy to work alone or as part of the team.
- Commercial Awareness: Spots opportunities in the market and the system to add value to a business and improve the bottom line.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk
Oil Recruitment is
acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. The
recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able
to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK.