Job Reference Number:
Mid Office Analyst
Mid Office & Finance
This is a challenging role for an ambitious, commercially-minded individual, who is a team player and who has the potential to grow within the business. The role requires one to exercise initiative, demonstrate independence of thought and behavior and have the flexibility and competence to deal with a range of different issues.
To succeed, you will need to be adept at following existing business processes, innovative in building new business processes if relevant and have the ability to produce robust, accurate and timely management data.
This will involve working closely with Operators, Traders and Marketers; to develop a strong understanding of the underlying business. As you develop in the role and the company, you will be expected to challenge and report margins to management whilst ensuring that the market positions and reported P&L are in line with underlying business events.
A successful candidate will develop the commercial insight to partner the business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Risk and Product Control Responsibilities:
- Daily reconciliation of paper positions and open trade equity to external clearing broker statements.
- Managing contract approval process for term deals and checking exposure at inception.
- Completing all physical deal amendments on a timely basis.
- Assisting Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Operations, Front Office and management with ad hoc queries.
- Proactive approach to process improvements and problem identification with resolution on a timely basis.
- Preparation of the daily P&L, position and exposure reporting including reconciliation, position generation and providing commentary for material P&L movements.
- Month end reporting to finance to ensure that transactions reported in daily P&L translate into the financial results.
- Champion for internal controls, particularly accuracy of data within deal capture systems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Education and qualifications:
- Strong Academics (2:1 minimum in analytical degree)
- 1 years risk/product control or MO preferable
- Physical commodities experience preferable
- ETRM system experience preferable / Openlink RightAngle experience desirable
- Strong technical skills (excel)
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written
- Prioritizes control or risk issues and communicates rapidly upwards.
- Listens well, digests ideas and responds with constructive feedback.
- A strong communicator who is clear and concise.
- Understands dynamics and supports roles within a team.
- Recognizes and acknowledges other team members’ contributions.
- Make things happen, with own or other’s ideas.
- Proactive. Drives processes and keeps activity to timetable.
- Independent and innovative free thinker.
Ownership & accountability:
- Takes ownership of own decisions and actions – successes and mistakes.
- Able to maintain focus and drive in a challenging environment.
- Achieves consensus on change and then implements.
- Will be a partner to the business.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk
Oil Recruitment is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. www.oilrecruitment.co.uk