Job Reference Number:
Biomass Market Analyst
Mid Office & Finance
Leading trading company is looking for a Market Analyst to join its expanding team. Reporting to the Lead Market Analyst and working directly with the Trading Desk and Biomass Trading Desk, the Market Analyst role will focus on fundamental analysis, with key focus on supporting fuel sourcing decisions.
Additionally the role will support the wider business with commercial analysis of and general fundamental and technical market drivers.
The role will be suited to those either looking to enter the commercial environment or seeking a new challenge in this area. It is essential that the candidate can demonstrate research and analytical capability and the role is ideally suited to those of graduate level, preferably within the mathematical and economics disciplines.
Initially the focus will be on the biomass market, but it is possible that this scope will be widened to other commodities over time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Market Analyst is directly responsible for:
- Ensuring there is strong market analysis for biomass and related markets.
- Providing robust forward-looking fundamental analysis, for commodity markets related to company’s core earnings.
- Actively engaging in the discussion of trading strategies, providing views to help drive trading tactics
- Developing and maintaining fundamental models
- Reviewing and learning from the performance of past analysis.
- Providing analytical support on projects, including within the Commercial and Supply teams, Finance and Business Development.
- Providing market and competitor intelligence
- Provide ad-hoc market information upon request from key stakeholders.
Part of a team responsible for hedging and optimising company’s commodity exposures including:
- c. 20-25TWhpa power sales worth over £1billion p.a.
- c. 10TWh ROCs worth c.£500m.p.a. plus recycle value.
- Plays a supporting role in the delivery of the Commercial team’s value added target per annum, in particular through strong analysis which aids trading decisions, projects and new deals.
- Regular interface with company employees and other internal stakeholders, requiring strong influencing and communication skills in addition to relationship building and stakeholder management.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Educated ideally to graduate level with strong numeracy/mathematical capability. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access).Monte Carlo software (e.g. Crystal Ball)
- Previous knowledge of a programming language would be advantageous.
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg desktop services and Reuters Eikon
- Broad understanding of characteristics and dynamics of UK power market.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Results orientated, able to multi-task, with capability to prioritise different work streams and perform to tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate cross-functionally with Fuel Purchasing, Strategy, Risk Management, Legal, Treasury and Finance, Biomass and develop wider appreciation of the business.
- The analyst must be a self-starter able to design, develop and implement unique analytical tools, with the ability to communicate the results to others.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk