Job Reference Number:
Senior Operational Risk Analyst
Mid Office & Finance
To role is to support the development, operation, monitoring and operational testing of the company's system of internal control to manage and or mitigate the business operational risks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide subject matter expert advice to senior management and the wider business on the management of key operational risk issues
- Support the development and maintenance of the operational risk framework to enable identification and assessment of major operational risks across core and emerging commercial and operational activities in line with recognised best practice and standards, e.g. COSO, Basel II & ISO 31000
- Support the development of the operational risk strategy to meet emerging regulatory and business drivers
- Design and deliver training and awareness activities in order to embed the operational risk policy and framework into the wider business functions and activities
- Support the design and operation of the Risk Control Self-Assessment methodology
- Support the planning and tracking of the annual Risk Control Self-Assessment activities and reporting of the output to the Risk Control Committee and HQ
- Analyse business operational risks against defined assessment criteria to enable comparison and prioritisation of mitigating actions
- Support the design, collection and reporting of KPIs / KRIs. Process, validate and publish regular KPI / KRI Data and Reports
- Extract learnings and risk insights to drive performance improvements, gain approvals and provide focus to line department plans on business process & continuous improvement activity
- Deliver an ETRM (Energy Trade and Risk Management) system segregation of duties policy and maintain segregation of duties matrices
- Administer user role ETRM system security and access permission process through review of role related permissions
- Review ETRM system active permissions and test permissions for exceptions / non-conformance
- Administer trade exchange access permission controls
- Administer trading processes & procedure, providing flow charts and supporting documentation
- Conduct process and controls testing and ensure visibility of process performance and issues
- Contribute to the risk oversight and control in relation to new strategic initiatives and operational capability projects
- Manage execution of the New Business Assurance “Functional Assurance Template (FAT)” process
- Maintain the New Business Assurance tracker, FAT returns and related actions folders
- Manage and coordinate the Business Change process, including follow up with business functions, facilitation of prioritisation discussions and change project working groups.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; initiates communications within the team to learn and share knowledge and follows up to ensure message is received; ability to communicate well with front, mid and back office personnel as well as senior levels of management; listens attentively, seeks to understand others viewpoints, and tests for understanding; ability to communicate complex issues simply
- Able to take and maintain an independent approach and challenge where appropriate
- Ability to balance operational risk management theory and practical best practice implementation with commercial and resource constraints
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player, able to build working relationships within, and across, teams/departments
- Strong IT skills and aptitude; experience of working with large sets of data and producing reports experience with energy trading risk management (ETRM) systems such as Endur and Symphony
- Detailed working knowledge of operational risk best practice application and implementation. (e.g. Basel II, COSO)
- Detailed knowledge of operational risk & control processes and practices, including experience in their application; knowledge of Operational Rigour / Testing Frameworks and practices; proven experience in design and testing of controls
- Working knowledge of the energy trading (Oil, Gas, LNG, Power etc.) and supply chain business; front- to-back office best practices
- Working knowledge of the energy transaction lifecycle.
- Experience of controls and the setting up of controls environment (e.g. Basel II, COSO)
- The successful candidate would preferably be from an energy trading background with a minimum of 2 years in operational risk and 5 years within an energy trading and/or risk environment;
- A background within other management and control functions i.e. Commercial Finance, Risk Management, Accounting, Audit, Internal Control, Business Change and Business Assurance, or a related Risk Consulting Practice.
- Degree, or equivalent
- Professional qualification preferred (e.g. IRM, GARP, ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk.