Job Reference Number:
Mid Office & Finance
One of the world's leading commodity trading companies is looking for a Risk Manager, to be based in their Singapore office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform the role effectively, the Risk Manager must be aware of new trades, new structures, the flow in the business, and work towards a goal of no surprises.
This position requires a pro-active approach to communication with our trading desks. The Risk Manager will need to develop good communication with traders in order to learn their views of the risk and reward of the positions. Also, they should have the talent and knowledge to exercise prudent judgment in creating and calibrating the appropriate risk measures, even in situations where the result might not agree with the trader's perception of risk.
The Risk Manager should expect to be comfortable with a degree of conflict in perception of risk, and be able, clearly and logically to present the methodology that supports the risk calculation.
- Good experience in risk management, trading or trade support experience in the oil market, with a thorough understanding of physical and derivative oil trading and pricing
- Familiarity with the Tempest trading system is an advantage
- Experience of working with oil products is an advantage
- Ability to use and understand trading concepts and demonstrate familiarity with the oil market to identify the main influences that drive changes in prices and price relationships
- Responsible for calculating and running daily risk reports and conducting analysis on trading books
- Ability to share with the team the responsibility to maintain price databases
- To undertake assessments of a wide range of transactions, carrying out modeling and analysis as necessary
- To communicate results effectively with traders and senior management
- To proactively identify and communicate issues that may cause a surprise and ensure that reports or measurements present a reflection of this
- To regularly engage in discussion with traders and management about exposure taken.
- Fluent in Mandarin
- Very strong analytical skills
- Strong Excel and VBA skills are an advantage
- Good communication skills – must be able to understand others’ perspectives and relate complex ideas to different groups, including senior management
- The ability to challenge proposals constructively to help ensure they are robust, whilst maintaining excellent working relationships
- Must be able to work effectively in a team, flexibly handling a wide range of potential issues
- Must be capable of working with significant autonomy and ensuring analysis is focused on delivering practical business benefits, often in tight deadlines.
Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this
role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks,
trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the
energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading,
broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping,
chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and
downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and
carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at