Job Reference Number:
Senior Legal Counsel
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Counsel working for a global oil trading company, based in London and offering a competitive salary. The role involves a broad range of responsibilities of a senior legal adviser for the European Commercial, Marketing and Refining Business. Reporting to the Managing Counsel of Europe, there is a focus on supporting the oil/products trading, storage and associated marine operations and UK regulatory compliance.
- Identification of legal risks and advising on mitigation.
- Advising on negotiation of transaction and contracts in the following areas:
- Physical oil/products trading, storage and associated marine operations;
- Retail and wholesale fuel marketing
- Procurement including IT contracts
- Business development opportunities.
- Advising on regulatory compliance such as financial services (as it applies to energy commodities), environmental matters and corporate governance (eg. UK anti-bribery and money laundering, sanctions laws).
- Dispute resolution
- Supporting of internal training and representing the Company on legal committees of trade associations
- Liaison with external legal counsel as required in accordance with prescribed legal / budget process
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience of dealing with physical oil.
- Legally authorised to work in the United Kingdom on a regular, full time basis.
- UK qualified Solicitor with at least 4 years relevant PQE with some of this spent in house.
- Clear knowledge of commercial and contracts law and UK Regulatory environment
- Experience in advising on physical oil/products trading and associated marine operations and regulatory compliance.
- Builds support amongst key decision makers and influencers by making compelling recommendation and being open to the ideas of others.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships within the Legal function and wider Company.
- Ethical and honest, confidential and acts in accordance with the Company values, policies and practices.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk