Job Reference Number:
North of England
Due to team growth and increased workload, our client has a new requirement for a Shift Trader to sit within the commercial team, based on-site in the North of England. The wider commercial team is made up of traders, commercial managers and optimisation specialists.
The dedicated trading team is an established and successful team which means they can offer growth and development to their trading colleagues, if you have some transferable or similar experience, and like a fast paced working environment then you could be the perfect fit!
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This specific role reports into the EMC Manager within Trading and includes:
- Direct P&L responsibility,
- Optimising margin and managing risk in short term power markets, through power sales and purchases, sales of ancillary services and Balancing Mechanism trades,
- Calculating real-time avoidable costs and generating unit capabilities in order to produce a real time generation plan and despatch all generating units to maximise cost and revenues whist remaining compliant,
- Providing commercial risk advice to the Shift Manager and guidance to unit operators within Production,
- Being part of a 24x7 shift team,
- Optimising and risk managing the power position within day.
- Running units optimally.
- Maintaining effective communication between the Trading and Production team in order to manage within day risks associated with generating unit availability and capture value where it exists.
- Actively engaging in the development of short term trading strategies, providing views to help drive trading tactics.
- Performing real time market analysis which informs trading decisions and provides advice to the wider trading team on competitor action, market opportunities and plant risk.
- Ensuring all activities are compliant with internal risk policies and frameworks.
How you’d be expected to operate:
- Live the companies values everyday, (honest, energised, achieving, together)
- Demonstrating energy and drive. Taking the initiative with a ‘can do/will do’ attitude.
- Demonstrating a high level of personal integrity.
- Being prepared to challenge the norm.
- Constantly seeking improvement. Adapting and embracing change.
- Experience in a market facing/analytical role, preferably within the wholesale power industry.
- Tertiary level qualifications in a highly numerate subject (science, maths, economics, engineering etc).
- Some knowledge of the UK and continental power and gas markets and an understanding of the dynamics of power generation units.
- Strong IT skills (Excel as a minimum).
- The capability to understand complex industry documents such as the Grid Code.
- Proven ability to make good decisions quickly under pressure.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and demonstrable social/influencing skills.
- A natural ability to solve problems.
Oil Recruitment is working as an agent on behalf of a client for this role. We have been working with some of the world's leading banks, trading companies, major oil companies and utilities within the energy trading arena since 1998. We work on roles in trading, broking, risk, credit, quantitative analysis, consultancy, shipping, chartering, operations and contract analysis across the upstream and downstream energy markets in crude, oil products, gas, power and carbon. All vacancies and information on our business are at www.oilrecruitment.co.uk